October 5, 2012
PVCC Commemorates 40th Anniversary
Charlottesville, VA - In September 1972, Piedmont Virginia Community College welcomed 456 students to its first semester in temporary classrooms at Albemarle High School, the University of Virginia and other locations around Charlottesville. Forty years later, the College has educated more than 200,000 students. It has grown beyond its main campus in Albemarle County, recently opening the PVCC Eugene Giuseppe Center in Greene County. The College also is part of the Jefferson School City Center scheduled to open late this year in downtown Charlottesville.
In celebration of the College's 40th Anniversary, PVCC has developed a new Web site at www.pvcc.edu/40. The site highlights milestones in the College's history with a historical timeline and photos from years past.
Some facts about PVCC:
- Since 1972, PVCC has awarded more than 10,700 associate degrees and certificates.
- The class of 2012 numbered 593 students, the largest graduating class ever.
- PVCC offered its first online class in 2000. Today (fall semester 2012) there are more than 230 credit and noncredit online classes.
- Enrollment in 2011-12 credit classes totaled 7,887 for the year, the highest in the College's history.
- There are 39 academic programs and nearly 900 credit classes offered this fall.
As part of the 40th anniversary, an Alumni Afterhours is set for Friday, Oct. 19, from 5 until 7 p.m. in the Main Building at 501 College Drive in Charlottesville. Hosted by retired faculty members Evelyn Edson, Pryor Hale and Dick Harrington, the event is open to alumni (graduates and non-graduates) of the College. It will feature live music by current student Eli Cook and Lock Jaw, a band of local dentists including PVCC alumnus J.C. Wolfe. Registration for the event is available at www.pvcc.edu/40.
The PVCC Development Office has launched a $40-4-40 fund drive. This online giving opportunity asks alumni, current students and friends of PVCC for one dollar for every year the College has been in existence. Visit www.pvcc.edu/40 for details.
PVCC is located at 501 College Drive off state Route 20. Take Exit 121 from Interstate 64, and follow the signs to the College.