Welcome to the Writing Center@PVCC! Our mission is to help PVCC students strengthen their writing skills in any discipline. We will work with you at any stage of the writing process to develop and articulate your ideas. Our trustworthy tutors are trained to listen attentively as you read your work aloud and to ask you questions to clarify your thinking. We aim to help you discover your ideas and then communicate them clearly to others.
Because we believe writing takes time and develops through multiple drafts, we encourage you to come to the Writing Center at any phase in your writing task in order to:
- discuss how or where to begin an assignment;
- get help finishing a draft;
- to begin revising a draft or receive feedback on a complete draft;
- learn tips for proofreading; and
- discuss your instructor's comments.
What to expect:
- A Writing Center session generally begins with you reading the piece quietly to the tutor. This helps you to hear how it sounds and recognize both the strong and troublesome spots in the writing.
- The tutor will ask questions to help you clarify and strengthen your ideas. You can also ask your tutor questions about areas in which you are struggling.
- You will leave the session with ideas about how to strengthen the specific writing assignment and with new skills to use in future writing tasks.
- Your writing center session can last up to 50 minutes. Then, we suggest students work independently so that they can grow into confident writers.
Our goal is not to make your writing assignment perfect, but to help you become a confident, skilled writer over time. This process can mean multiple visits to the Writing Center, but, more importantly, can require many revisions and an investment of your time to work independently.
To schedule your first visit with a writing tutor, you may simply come to the front desk in the Learning Center [Main Building, Room M617] or call 961.5499. If you can't come to campus, you might try submitting your paper to the Essay Center of our online tutoring partner, SMARTHINKING. You will get feedback on your work in 24 hours.
We hope to see you in the Writing Center!