Rationale for Revision
The overarching purpose of the PVCC English Department (and the QEP) is to improve student writing ability. As part of its culture of writing, PVCC must ensure that students have a cohesive sequence of writing experiences as they move through their curricular programs. This sequence begins with College Composition I (ENG 111). This course (as well as ENG 112) will be revised by the English Department to reflect key writing concepts as articulated in the QEP and as determined by the needs of PVCC's student population. English 111 will introduce these concepts and English 112 will reinforce them.
These two courses will be refined to ensure that:
- English Department instructional practices and pedagogical philosophies are aligned with the "best practices" in English Education (as determined by the academics, practitioners and the governing organization of English teachers and National Council of Teachers of English).
- Instructional practices and student learning outcomes for ENG 111 and 112 are aligned with the student learning outcomes enumerated in PVCC's Quality Enhancement Plan.
- Students are introduced to and practiced in the activities they will be asked to engage in when taking their Writing Intensive class.
Changes to College Composition I & II
College Composition I & II (English 111 and 112) courses will be revised to include:
- Direct instruction on and engagement in writing process and revision activities
- Expanded writing requirements
- Increased use of writing workshop sessions (peer feedback)
- Introduction to and use of PVCC's Writing Rubric
- Specific instruction in grammar and punctuation
- Increased use of PVCC's Writing Center