Piedmont Virginia Community College is part of the Virginia Community College System (VCCS). As such, PVCC is subject to the policies and procedures established by the VCCS System Office. In addition, PVCC is a Virginia State agency and is subject to State policies which apply to State agencies generally. The College issues local policies to comply with and implement State and VCCS policies and to address issues that are not fully addressed by higher authority. The hierarchy of policy for PVCC is as follows:
- The Code of Virginia and Governor of Virginia Executive Orders
- Virginia Community College System and other State central agency policies
- The PVCC On-Line Policy Manual
- PVCC official publications (Catalog and Student Handbook, Faculty Handbook, etc.)
- Other PVCC written policies
In the event of a conflict or contradiction, the highest applicable level in the hierarchy takes precedence.